Fawnskin Revisited

Fawnskin Revisited

Happy Thanksgiving!

So, have you missed me?

Believe it or not, some Fawnskin Folks have and since I’ve been asked a number of times to post an update on my progress, I thought I’d oblige.

Now and again I visit Fawnskin off the radar.

A couple of neighbors made sure I have had a place to stay for medical appointments as well as for continued recovery because I am still in that process.

My adventures in healing have taken me to a number of places, some good and some not.

I’ve had people emerge to share vital healing information with me and have started work on a book about what I have learned so I can at least help others shortcut the process.

So far I have spent time in Joshua Tree, Lake Keowee (South Carolina), Carmel, and San Pedro but have popped back to Big Bear and Fawnskin now and again.

Nope not sure where I will land.

But it is hard to believe it was November 29, 2013 that I moved out of the Fawnskin house–a house that has at least eight types of mold.

During Thanksgiving last year I was packing to move.

In retrospect, that was something I should have arranged for others to do, or perhaps I should have just dumped everything. *Sigh* Hindsight is usually that way, isn’t it?

Sadly, it took years of testing to find out why I was so ill and unable to recover.

In case you forgot, or didn’t realize, it was the environmental allergy tests that revealed an underlying problem–and upon further investigation, mold was revealed as the culprit.

It is likely my troubles began after the flooding in Fawnskin back in January of 2005. At the time I was on book tour and relied on the property owner to do the right thing.

What a mistake.

Fast forward to this time last year, the first week I moved out of the house, my body dropped 10 pounds of edema.

That was my “ah-hah” moment, or rather the “oh sh**” moment, of realization that it was my home environment that was toxic.

I owe a debt of gratitude to a long-time resident of Fawnskin who had urged me to get out of the house after the alleged restoration. Within 3 days of that conversation with him I found more mold in the house and began packing.

Mold was probably why my bird died in 2007 and why I had a close brush with death in July of 2009.

Some of you remember that the quality of my life was awful–and all because of toxic mold exposure.

Now, the last year has been difficult to say the least but much better compared to how it was previous to the move.

365 days have been dedicated to working toward wellness and recovery.

The reality was moving was super hard on me and I am glad some of the neighbors stepped up to help.

In the end I had to get rid of most of my belongings and then it was over a month before I began to really begin to function. Imagine how I felt when I learned that I had to move again!

The next relocation was to the desert where it took six months to get rid of the mold that colonized in my body.

Certain types of mold live off your body cells, and it did some damage as well as inhibiting the functions of many of my body systems.

Overall I have been trending up and imagine how I felt when I learned in September 2014 that I had to do a cleanse to get mold remnants out of my gut.


At this time, I am still pending is a CT scan on my lungs to see what damage may be present and, if mold is there or not.

There is a big problem with misinformation when it comes to mold and many think that mold is an allergy when it is actually a bio-hazard–a serious toxin. As a result, not everyone is very understanding or compassionate and it takes a lot of digging to find information that is accurate.

So, the path to recovery has not been an easy process. However, I can say that I have been living the divinely orchestrated life over the past year, and despite some discouragements and bad spells, I am a lucky gal.

In fact a nurse just told me, “Do you realize how lucky you are to be alive and in recovery?”

Uh, yep.

BTW the more research I do on the book, the more I do realize it. It is not a pleasant experience to read all of the facts and learn of the hazards–so I have to take breaks from working on it.

At this time there is no telling how long it will take to recover, given the amount of time in the toxic environment, estimates vary.

But, as I mentioned, the good news is that I am mostly trending up, despite some healing setbacks now and again, things always get put back into perspective.

For instance, another Fawnskin pal said, “Wow, you are doing so much better. Last year at this time you could barely walk from your house to mine and back.

Her observation came after a mile and a half hike. So I am making steady progress toward the 3-5 miles per day I used to be able to do each morning.

Since it is Thanksgiving, I can only give thanks and happily say that I am on the mend.

I am also hopeful that 2015 is going to bring some very great things.

So there is the much requested update, my wish is that you enjoy a great Thanksgiving and a Happy Holiday Season!


Thank you for reading this post. You can now Read Comments (2) or Leave A Trackback.

Post Info

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 27th, 2014 and is filed under Fawnskin Folk, Talk of the Town.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the Comments Feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Previous Post: »
Next Post: »

Read More

Related Reading:

2 Responses to “Fawnskin Revisited

  • 1
    November 30th, 2014 11:11

    As a Fawnskin resident, I would like to know the location of this mold infested house, to be able to determine if this mold can begin growing in my home or the inhabitants via the airborne spores.

  • 2
    GG (Gossip Girl)
    November 30th, 2014 16:47

    Mold can grow anywhere if conditions are right but it isn’t go to spread from that house to another. Water intrusion is usually the underlying cause for mold growth and you’d have to do a mold test or bring in a company to test for you. The types of tests and the times and methods can mean there will be variations on the spore count. The tests showed one type of mold in the outdoor environment and 8 inside the residence. But since you asked, the duplex is located at 1000 Brookside.

    After the mold remediation took place in Summer of 2013 I found more mold in October and moved out. However, since that time no county agencies have been involved. Despite the owner swearing they would not rent again, I saw a “for rent” sign up during a recent visit. I know that he did cosmetic work over the last year but the mold was growing under the house and moving up into the residence. Any renters would need to run mold spore tests to verify it is clean and safe.